Saturday, April 22, 2006

First Week In India

Week 1 – Bangalore

The plane arrives at 0430, yep, 4:30 in the morning. There is someone to help with a wheelchair which is really nice! It is the aisle type of wheelchair so a little skinny for my big bottom, but it suffices.

Off we go to immigration. Oops! Marie did not fill out her address here in India so the fellow has to come back and it has to be completed and re-examined. Finally I am admitted and we go to collect the bags.

Of course we are joined by another young fellow who drives a baggage cart and collects the one other bag I have stuffed full. I figured, 2 carry ons, and one medium sized check in would be easiest to manage on the way. Looking around at all the people with BIG suitcases and 2 or three of them I think I was right.

We are out the door! And on the way to finding ‘my’ driver. A gentleman from Avis with a car is supposed to be there. It is hot, and muggy, EVEN at 0430. We roll down the entourage on either side of drivers holding signs (none of which has my name on it), relatives and friends waiting for passengers. BUT, NO one with my name.

Ok, there I am, blocking the remaining aisle way on the outside sidewalk to the airport terminal, people cannot get by either way easily owing to the other people waiting, and there is no driver evident.

No problem, dig out the paperwork and start calling the manager on duty for Avis. Darn! His cell is not answering and his voicemail is full!

Ah ha!! Pin another Avis person and make THEM call the Avis on call manager.

SUCCESS! Here comes the Avis driver with a placard WITH my name CORRECTLY spelled (that is a miracle itself).

Off we go to the apartment complex. It is behind a high wall with guarded gates (right beside an Oracle building). It is modern and new. After some confusion I am in a clean room with clean sheets and pillow AND a TV!! With HBO and at least 2 other movie channels. My goodness! Things have changed in the last 3 years.

I sleep through the day and go out in the evening for supper with the U.S. manager here on site and his wife. VERY nice people.
Over the next couple of days I met the people on the project. Everyone is open and helpful.

My flatmate in particular is very helpful and solicitous. She has been here for about 3 months and knows a lot of the ins and outs of ‘How to Survive Six Months In India’.

Funny thing about the apartnemtn is that the kitchen has effectively no stove!!! Yep, I guess they think that we all eat out every night. There is a small combination microwave/browning oven and a little kettle to boil water in. Now, I don’t cook that much at home…but I do cook occasionally (yes Annette and mom, I DO cook) (ok, maybe 3 times a week given lunches and dinners).

The second night here the most horrible thing happened. It was…well, horrible! It seems that I am indeed allergic to FLEAS. And some dastardly fleas found their way into my pillow. So while I was sleeping with my sheet over my head to strategically avoid the buzzing of the odd mosquito the fleas GOT me! See the pic to the right. Can you believe it? Me!

Now, for those that know me, you know that for a very long time I have only used Metrin on my face because it just….well…..’works’. Keeps my face clean, fresh, soft and just generally makes me feel good. It is probably the only only ‘girlie’ thing I really do. And I have been guilty of the sin of pride where it comes to my face. So it is inevitable that 2 days after I get here, having to face a MAJOR meeting on the Saturday coming my face should look like I have about FIFTY pustule eruptions. One naïve young man actually made a remark in passing that he also had had a problem with PIMPLES. My goodness!! Pimples at MY age! Well that led to every person I was introduced to getting the :

‘Hi! I’m Marie, and these are FLEA bites, NOT pimples and not mosquito bites’

Not the best foot (or face forward).

Overall everyone was very solicitous and kind when they heard. The apartment manager immediately changed out all my pillows and I was moved to another room.

So reading this one would think there was NO fun. Not so, the very first week some friends of friends who actually live here took me shopping. There is nothing like shopping with someone who is from the area. Got my first set of material/cloth for a salwar kmeez. (that is those tops, pants and big scarves (dupatta) that the women wear here and sometimes in Vancouver). The colours and patterns and fabrics are truly amazing.

Annette and mom…you would go CRAZY here over the fabric. There is just TOOO much choice and the prices are so good. The hand detailing is breathtaking.

So the first week was filled with meeting people and getting used to the weather.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home